Mendham G. and T.C.

Mendham G. and T.C.
Mendham G. and T.C.

Course Description

The Mendham Golf and Tennis Club began in 1958 when 15 residents of Mendham purchased approximately 75 acres of land on Kennedy Road and sought members for a family-oriented golf and tennis facility. Our Certificate of Incorporation states, "... the subscribers hereby associate themselves into a corporation not for pecuniary profit... to encourage, develop and promote the enjoyment of golf, tennis and other such recreational pursuits..."

The Club began in 1959 with the construction of three Har-Tru tennis courts and a swimming area in "Gay's Pond." In addition, Mr. Alfred Tull, a nationally known golf course architect, was retained to design a nine-hole golf course, which was finished in1961. The remaining three holes were completed and ready for play in September of that year.

As membership grew from its original 78 family members and play increased, it became apparent that an additional nine holes would be required to assure ongoing success. In 1964, the Club purchased approximately 85 acres to complete the necessary land requirements. Construction of the new nine holes, also designed and supervised by Alfred Tull, began in 1967 and the holes were ready for play in 1969.

During the summer of 1967, the Club's first clubhouse was built. Following a Mendham Golf and Tennis Club tradition of "sweat equity," volunteers from the membership provided the manpower to erect the building, which was used as the Club's principal structure until it was replaced by the new clubhouse in 1991. Taking almost three years to design and construct, the building vastly improved the Club's resources for membership social functions and golf activities

The new clubhouse location necessitated a change in course rotation and shortly thereafter the golf course underwent renovation by architect Brian Silva. In 2001, the Club contracted to install a state-of-the-art irrigation system to assure the protection and beautification of its primary resource... the property. In 2004 a fourth court was added to our paddle complex and, in the following year, the tennis courts were completely redone with underground irrigation and new Har-Tru surfaces.

In many ways, MG&TC has changed dramatically during its 40+ years of existence, but retains its informality, "family and friends" attitude, and unique culture. Most importantly, it takes pride in the participative approach to club management and operations, with almost one-half the membership participating in its various committees and activities at anyone time.

This website requires javascript. Please enable it or visit to find a modern browser.